Thursday, November 02, 2006

Deer Season in the Backyard

I don't recall ever seeing so many deer as I have this fall. Yesterday I saw 3 in the morning, 7 at night... just in my short drive to work and back. They just glance up from time to time... then go back to grazing.

These deer were only about 25 feet from the road and not the least bit intimated by the flash from my camera, or the honking horns of passing by cars, or even shouting strangers yelling at them. In fact, these deer were just about as tame as the cows on the east side of the road.

This photo was taken at dusk from the car window. The deer are standing in the field just behind our house.

I used to like deer, you know, so graceful and calm. That was until a big buck jumped on my hood one December evening and demolished the front quarter panels, grill and hood of my relatively-new car (only 7,000 miles on it), breaking off his antler into the passenger side window.

The guy at the repair shop just told me, "You're just lucky he didn't come thru the windshield, the last car I did, the driver was impaled by the horns." Ever since his comment, I look at deer in a whole new light.

No comments: